Sunday 3 August 2014

Tips for blocking crochet

'Blocking'. A word that since I have known it has always been followed or preceded by 'Urgh.' I didn't get why I had to do it, I didn't have the tools I apparently needed (no room for spare mattresses chez moi unfortunately), and I didn't get how to do it. 

Well, courtesy of my sampler blanket I’ve had to teach myself, and eventually I’ve found an easy way to do it without even having to buy any new or special materials. Hurrah! 

Instructions 
In case you're still questioning this blocking idea, let's start with...

Why bother: 
Here’s a before and after blocking photo of a square for my blanket. I readily admit that I am a reluctant blocker, but this photo convinces me that it really is necessary sometimes. It’s time to just accept that and move on. 


Tools: 
I have read that playmat blocks are really good, and perhaps I’ll invest one day, but in the meantime there is no need as I have found that the yoga mat gathering dust behind my bed is a very good substitute, and as it’s long and thin it’s nice and compact too. So the only tools I need are as follows: 

  • Yoga mat (if you don’t have a yoga mat it’s fine to use towels but I found this not quite so easy for the pins to go in)
  • Old sheet/pillowcase(s)
  • Measuring tape
  • Pins
  • Spray bottle (I actually bought one from a hardware store but it would be easy just to reuse an old cleaning product one that has been thoroughly washed out.)


How to:

The first bit is simple. Cover the yoga mat in a sheet. Not too taxing a task, right? The next step, however, had me stumped for a little while. How did I place those pins correctly to stop the pesky crochet squares escaping from them? The answer will be clear to those clever sciency types out there, but for me it was trial and error to realise that it’s all about the angle...

Simply place the pin so that it’s leaning away from the crochet work and the naughty little piece won’t try to escape. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment